Summer is the time to show some skin with light colored clothes and minimal outfits. As enjoyable as it is to rock a bikini or a two piece set, a little extra stomach pooch can put a damper on your confidence. While my mission is to always “LOVE YOURSELF”, here are a few styling tips to make you feel sexy and confident about your belly while rocking this summer’s fashion trends.
- Show off your rib-drift area. Avoid the mid-drift (lower abs) and show off the rib drift area (high-waisted) or the smallest part of your waist. Only show 1-2 inches of skin above your belly button.
- Opt for a thicker waistband. Buy tops or skirts with a thicker waistband so they mold around your curves and not dig into them.
- Go up a size. Nothing is worse that a top that is too small and digs into your waist. Go up a size to avoid pinching and grabbing.
- Say yes to mid-rise jeans and shorts. Mid-rise jeans tuck in the tummy bulge and help avoid unwanted muffin tops created around the waistline.
- Avoid color blocking. A sleek all white look is elegant in summer (think white linen pants). Go for a monochromatic look or wear shades and tints of the same hue.
- Try a sexy one piece. If a bikini puts the fear of God into you, try a sexy one piece. A low cut front like this one from Forever 21 is great, and the mesh on the side gives a sneak peak of side boob and comfortably covers your tummy. I also LOVE my all-time fave sexy number from Ashley Graham’s Swimsuit of All collection. It’s a go-to for a few of my clients because it’s universally flattering.
- Add the right belt. Avoid belts along the widest part of your stomach. If you must, try one that is 1-inch thick or more. Long wrap belts are in this season, and they work best at your natural waist or high waist.
- Stick to A-line & texture. It’s wedding season which means you might be a wedding guest. Stick to traditional A-line dresses, try a floral print, or texture that smooths and shapes.
Bonus: Kimonos or robes are in every store and quite affordable. Add them onto denim looks, tank dresses, and swimsuits. They flatter a belly and elongate your figure.
Remember that confidence is your best accessory—fashion is just a costume without it!